My bet is that if you’re reading this blog post with this title, you’re probably a big Andy Stanley fan. For many pastors and Christian leaders throughout America, Andy stands as one of the most inspiring and exemplary models of leadership excellence – and rightly so. So given his position as a great leadership model, wouldn’t it be cool if you could personally ask him what books have had the biggest influence on his development both as a leader and as a pastor of one of the nation’s largest and most influential Churches? Well if you’d ever thought that, take heart and be of good cheer, for I bring good tidings of great joy.
Not too long ago I noticed in the NorthPoint Church bookstore that they have this special bookshelf over in the corner with a sign that reads “Books Recommended By Andy Stanley and NorthPoint Leadership” so I figured you’d love to know what books were on that shelf – and I took the liberty to compile those books into a list for you.
Here’s why I think this list is a big deal: it’s clear that Andy is an avid reader and student of leadership. So when someone like Andy – who’s arguably read hundreds even thousands of the best leadership books over a lifetime of successful leadership – stands back and looks at the heap of books he’s spent thousands of hours reading, and walks over to that pile and picks out a few carefully selected books and says, “of all the many books I’ve read, here are the ones I would say you should definitely read” – that’s when I run to know which books he singled out.
The books are in no particular order. Enjoy.
1. Courageous Leadership – Bill Hybels
2. Creating Magic: 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a Life at Disney – Lee Cockerell
3. E-Myth Revisited: Why Most Small Businesses Don’t Work and What To Do About It – Michael E. Gerber
5. The Creative Habit: Learn It and use It for Life – Twyla Tharp
6. Be Our Guest: Perfecting The Art of Customer Service – Ted Kinni and Disney Institute
7. Built To Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies – Jim Collins
9. The Fifth Discipline: The Art & Practice of The Learning Organization – Peter M. Senge
10. The Five Dysfunctions of A Team: A Leadership Fable – Patrick Lencioni
11. The Five Temptations of A CEO: A Leadership Fable – Patrick Lencioni
12. Focus: The Future of Your Company Depends on It – Al Ries
13. Killing Cockroaches: And Other Scattered Musings on Leadership – Tony Morgan
14. Influencer: The Power To Change Anything – Kerry Patterson, Joseph Grenny et al.
15. Integrity: The Courage To Meet the Demands of Reality – Henry Cloud
16. Leadership and Self-Deception: Getting Out of the Box – The Arbinger Institute
17. Made To Stick: Why Some Ideas Survive and Others Die – Chip and Dan Heath
18. The Leadership Challenge – James M. Kouzes
21. Orbiting the Giant Hairball: A Corporate Fool’s Guide to Surviving with Grace – Gordon MacKenzie
22. The Contrarian’s Guide To Leadership – Steven B. Sample
23. Rules of The Red Rubber Ball: Find and Sustain Your Life’s Work – Kevin Carroll
26. Tribes: We Need You To Lead Us – Seth Godin
27. What The Best CEO’s Know: 7 Exceptional Leaders and Their Lessons for Transforming Any Business – Jeffery A. Krames
Looking For A Christian Speaker Like Francis Chan & Louie Giglio To Speak At Your Church Or Event?
If you’re a pastor, Church staff member or event organizer looking for a great Christian speaker I want to let you know I’m a speaker who’s available for speaking engagements at Churches and other Christian events. I speak mainly to college students and twenty-somethings and up. My topics are mainly centered on living for the glory of God and I use a lot of humor. For the past 10 years I’ve spoken at various camps, youth groups, conferences, Churches etc. etc. I’m a speaker more in the vein of Francis Chan and Louie Giglio. If you love them, chances are you’ll enjoy my talks too. Some of my topics include, “Who Am I That I Should Go” & “Glorious Rescue” (A message on grace based on the life of David).
I’ve been a youth leader and singles minister at a various Churches including a 9,000-member megachurch. Usually my fee is upwards of $1,000, but for 2011 I am offering Churches and event organizers a discount of more than 80% off my regular fee, at a special price of only $200, plus travel. Yep, only two hundred dollars plus travel to anywhere in the U.S. In some cases I’d be more than happy to speak for free, just drop me line and we can talk about it.
If you’re interested and would like more information feel free to contact me at: email@example.com
Thanks for stopping by the “210 LIFE//: Awaken Generation Blog”. Hope you enjoy the posts.